J&B Medical Insurance offers a number of different urological supplies for individuals with urinary retention. Urinary retention can be life-debilitating if left untreated, and there are a number of causes for the condition. If you require incontinence supplies for symptoms of urinary retention, please review our short guide below to learn more about this treatable urological condition:
What is it?
- Urinary retention is the inability to empty the bladder
- Sometimes you may be able to urinate, but may have trouble getting started or emptying your bladder all the way
- You may feel the urge to urinate and attempt it often with little success
- You may still feel like you have to go, even if you already finished urinating
- The incomplete emptying of the bladder can cause bacteria and infections
The average adult bladder can hold over 2 cups of urine!
Why does it happen?
- Anyone can experience urinary retention
- Urinary retention in men is most commonly caused by an enlarged prostate, which blocks or slows the flow of urine out of the bladder
- Other causes
- Weak Bladder Muscles
- Nerve Damage
Other types of Urinary Incontinence:
For additional information on Urinary Retention, you can visit these websites:
aafp.org(American Academy of Family Physicians)